"Tubbridbritain", Tubbridbrittain, or Tubbridbretain, a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 5 miles (S.W.) from Freshford, on the road to Urlingford; containing 556 inhabitants and comprising 3884 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Aghoure, or Freshford; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Urlingford, and contains a large chapel recently erected. The parochial school, in which about 80 children are taught, is aided by subscriptions; and there is a private school, in which are about 140 children. Here is an ancient castle, consisting of a square tower.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]