"Tullaherin", or Tullowherin, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 1/4 miles (S.S.W.) from Gowran, on the road to Thomastown; containing 895 inhabitants, and comprising 5122 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, the rectory being the corps of the precentorship, and the vicarage forming part of the union of Kilfane and corps of the archdeaconry, both in the patronage of the Bishop. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Thomastown, and contains a chapel. Here is one of the ancient round towers, which at three feet from the ground is about 50 feet in circumference, and has an entrance at the height of about 12 feet; the upper part, near the summit, appears to have been lighted by eight windows, of which four still remain; it is built of silicious breccia, but the contiguous church, which is also an ancient edifice, and in ruins, is contructed of limetsone.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]