"Urlingford", a parish, in the barony of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 3/4 mile (S.) from Johnstown, to which it has a penny post; on the road from Kilkenny to Thurles, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by Cashel; containing 2492 inhabitants, of which number, 1366 are in the village, which consists of a main street with a few offsets diverging from it, and containing 256 houses, mostly of inferior appearance. The village is the centre of a manufacture of coarse stuffs, flannels, and worsteds, and carries on an extensive retail trade with the surrounding districts. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. The parish comprises 3227 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Near the village is Marymount, the neat and improved seat of R. Neville, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown. The parish also forms part of the perpetual curacy of Clomanto. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Tubrid-Britain, with parts of those of Burnchurch and Clomanto, in which union are two chapels; that of Urlingford is a very neat building. There are two schools in connection with the Board of National Education; about 70 boys and 70 girls are educated in them. There is also a private school, in which are about 60 boys and 30 girls. In the demesne of Maryborough is a cromlech, which had been supported by three upright stone pillars, two of which, 8 feet high each, still remain in their original position at one end; the third has fallen. A rath in the neighborhood is peculiar in being of a square shape.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]