|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of
Kilkenny, but chiefly in that of Idrone West, county of Carlow, and
province of Leinster, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Leighlin-Bridge, on the road
Gowran; containing 1554 inhabitants. The parish is situated upon the south
side of the river Barrow, and comprises 2622 statute acres, as applotted
under the tithe act. Here is a slate quarry. The seats are Ravindon, Barbage,
and the Deanery-house. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin,
constituting, with the chapelry of Ballynochen, the corps of the deanery
of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Crown. There are several small
glebes, comprising 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part
of the union or district of Leighlin-bridge: the chapel is a large building.
The parochial school-house was built by aid from the incumbent: a female
school is maintained by subscription, and there are two private schools,
attended by about 140 children. The ruins of the former church at the
Royal Oak are still visible; and near Ballynochen is a rath of
considerable extent, called by the peasantry "the Maudlin Moat."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Wells, diocese of Leighlin. RC Parish: Paulstown.
Earliest Records: b. Jul 1824; m. Jan 1824.
Civil Parish: Wells, co. Carlow. RC Parish: Leighlinbridge.
Earliest Records: b. Jan 1873; m. Feb 1783.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC
parish parish period number
Wells Paulstown 1824-1880 0926124
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 26 Apr 1999
Parish Townland Acres Diocese
Wells Bohernastrekaun or Killure 253 Leighlin
Return to top of page