|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
"Whitechurch", or Castlane,
a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of
Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (N.E.) from Carrick-on-Suir,
on the road to Kilkenny; containing 778 inhabitants. This parish is situated
on the river Lingan, near its junction to the Suir, and comprises 1312 acres,
as applotted under the tithe act, all arable and pasture land; there is
abundance of limestone, and the system of agriculture has much improved.
The seats are Castletown, Ballycaushlawne, and Anneborough. The living is a
rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the
Crown and the Bishop. The church is a neat building with a spire, erected
by Archbishop Cox in 1766. The glebe-house was built in 1813; the glebe
comprises 16 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the
union or district of Templeorum. The parochial school is supported by the
Earl of Besborough and the rector, and two other public schools are maintained
by Mrs. Cox; in these schools about 140 children are instructed: there are
also a private school and a dispensary.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Whitechurch. RC Parish: Templeorum.
Earliest Records: b. Oct 1803; m. Aug 1815; d. Sep 1803.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC
parish parish period number
Whitechurch Templeorum not available
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 18 Apr 1999
Parish Townland Acres Diocese
Whitechurch Ballyhenebery 85 Ossory
Whitechurch Baungarriff 148 Ossory
Whitechurch Castletown 987 Ossory
Whitechurch Craigue 233 Ossory
Whitechurch Killonerry 458 Ossory
Whitechurch Whitechurch 273 Ossory
Return to top of page