KILLASNET, a parish, in the half-barony of ROSSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo; containing, with part of the post-town of Manorhamilton, 5743 inhabitants. It comprises 26,485 statute acres, including a considerable quantity of bog. Copper, iron, and coal are supposed to exist in Benbulben mountain, and French chalk, gypsum, limestone, and coloured clays are found here. Fairs are held at Lurganboy on May 15th, June 21st, Aug. 21st, Sept. 22nd, and Oct. 21st. The principal seats are Screeny, the residence of Col. J. J. Cullen; Rockwood, of Capt. H. F. Cullen; and Glenade, of C. O. Cullen, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Kilmore; the rectory is appropriate to the see; the vicarage forms part of the union of Clonclare, or Manorhamilton; and there is a perpetual curacy, called Glencar, or Glenlough, which was formed in 1810, by separating 28 townlands from Killasnet, and is in the patronage of the Vicar, who pays the curate's stipend. The tithes amount to £205, of which £136. 13. 4. is payable to the bishop, and £68. 6. 8. to the vicar. The church, which is at Glencar, is a neat plain building: there is a glebe of 441 acres.
There is a chapel of ease in the parish, the curate being paid by the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel at Mullys, built in 1834, at an expense of £250; and another at Glencar. There are three schools, two of which are supported by John Wynne, Esq., of Hazlewood, and the vicar. There are some remains of the old parish church, also several chalybeate springs in the S 2 mountains; and near Glencar is a cascade, 200 feet high, near which are some fine views.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Killasnet which are provided by: