KILTUBRID, a parish, in the barony and county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (N. E.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, on the road to Ballinamore; containing 6508 inhabitants. It comprises 12,088 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, including 60 of woodland, besides 2429 acres of bog and mountain: the land is chiefly under spade husbandry. On the northern side of Slieve-an-irin iron ore is found in the beds of the mountain streams, and limestone on their banks; and on the south and west sides are indications of rich beds of that metal. Thick strata of it are also visible in the beds of Barnameena and the neighbouring cataracts. Under the south and west brow of Slieve-an-irin is a stratum of coal, and large and deep beds of pipe-clay and yellow ochre are found in the channels of several of the mountain streams, particularly about Aughacashel, intermingled with flinty gravel or silicious sand. Near the top of the mountain at Aughacashel is a large mass of heavy, smooth, peagreen, viscous earth, intermixed with sparkling yellow sand, of which there is a great quantity about two miles north westward. Freestone is abundant, and here are some sulphureous springs. Remains of several disused furnaces are visible near the mountain, and under its brow is a deep cavity, in which the waters disappear and emerge about a mile to the west of its base. Here are several lakes; one is much resorted to from a belief that the water will cure the erysipelas. The principal seats are Loughscur, the residence of R. McNamara, Esq.; Annadale, of W. Randal Slacke, Esq.; Driney, of G. H. C. Peyton, Esq.; Laheen, of J. Reynolds Peyton, Esq.; and Aughacashel, of J, Johnston, Esq., near which coal is partially worked by the peasantry. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £248. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a loan of £530 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1825: the glebe comprises 470 acres, about three-fourths of which are unprofitable land. The church is a plain building, erected, by aid of a gift of £440 from the same Board, in 1785; and recently repaired by a grant of £168 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is also called Cashcarrigan; there is a chapel on the townland of Rosgarbon. About 750 children are educated in six public schools, to one of which Lord Southwell subscribes £7, and to another £6. 6. per annum. On an island in Lough Scur, are the remains of Castle John, which was built by John Reynolds in the reign of Elizabeth, and was frequently attacked by the O'Rourkes; and on another island are the ruins of a square fortress, which was used for a prison by the Reynolds family. In Mr. McNamara's demesne is a cromlech, called by the peasantry Leaba Dearmud i Graine, or "Darby and Graine's Bed, or Altar." There are some remains of an old church, with a burial-ground attached.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kiltubbrid which are provided by: