GENUKI Home pageCounty pageCounty LimerickContentsContents

 

Fedamore Town

Catholic Parish Fedamore
Civil/CofI Parish Fedamore
Poor Law Union Croom
Barony Smallcounty

 

Fedamore is mainly in the barony of Small County, although part of it is in Clanwilliam. Fedamore village is located on the R511, with the river Commogue nearby. The population of the parish is approximately 1800.  Fedamore was the head of the union with the parishes of Ballycahane, Manister, Nenagh and Kilpeacon. Manister became a separate parish in 1858. Thomas Blake was the parish priest of the new parish. The name Fedamore comes from Fiadh Damair, the wood of Damar. The parish used to be called Fedamore and Friarstown. Fairs were held in Fedamore on May 5th and October 9th.  Castles were located at Ballyneguard (Rockstown), Williamstown, and Englishtown.  An article by Eamon P. Kelly and Tom Condit, entitled 'Limerick's Tara', was published in Archaeology Ireland in 1998. This article details a complex of prehistoric monuments located on a hill at Friarstown in Fedamore. This hill overlooks Friarstown abbey. The complex consists of two large hilltop enclosures, which the authors interpret as henges, a series of enclosures of various types, and standing stones. The area in which these henges may be found is enclosed, and is currently used for pasture.  There are also two standing stones located nearby. It is recorded that beneath one of these stones, located in the field south of the larger henge, human bones of 'extraordinary size' were uncovered early in the nineteenth century. According to the locals these were the bones of a seven-foot man. However, the identity of this man is a mystery, although local folklore claims it was St Patrick.  from Fedamore Parish History website

 

Cemeteries

Church Records

Genealogy

History 

Edited by Pat Connors, March 29, 2003
 
 

Return to top of page