DRUMSNATT, a parish, in the barony of MONAGHAN, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 4¾ miles (S. W.) from Monaghan, on the road from that place to Clones; containing 3411 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 50l9¼ statute acres, of which 4436 are applotted under the tithe act: the land is moderately fertile and chiefly under tillage. The principal seats are Thorn hill, the residence of J.
Johnson, Esq.; Brookvale, of Capt. Johnston; and the Glebe-house, of the Rev. A. Mitchell. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Sir T. B.
Lennard, Bart. The tithes amount to £189. 4. 71½, of which £106. 3. 1. is payable to the impropriator, and £83. 1. 61½. to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 22 acres. The church, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners lately granted £316, is a plain modern structure with a tower. In the R. C.
divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Drumsnatt and Kilmore, and containing two chapels, of which that for Drumsnatt is at Kilnaclay. About 450 children are educated in four public, and 190 in three private schools; and there is a Sunday school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.