KILGLASS, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Ballina, on the bay of Killala; containing 4275 inhabitants. Many of the peasantry who assembled here in 1798 were killed in an attack made by the cavalry. The parish comprises 12,478 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, with a considerable quantity of bog. Carrownin is the property of E. Tennant, Esq., and Kinnaird, is the residence of J. Paget, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Castle Connor; the rectory is appropriate to the bishoprick, the deanery, and the precentorship of Killala. The tithes amount to £472, of which £234 is payable to the bishop, £4 to the dean, £4 to the precentor, and £234 to the vicar. The church is a neat building with a spire, erected in 1829 by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a glebe of 17 acres, but no glebe-house. The R. C.
parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel, which was built in 1825, at an expense of £600. About 240 children are educated in three public schools, one of which is endowed with a bequest of £400 from the late Rev. J. Valentine, which has accumulated to £865: the school-house is a good stone building, and cost £215. About 370 children are educated in six private schools. At Enniscrone, in this parish, is a coast-guard station belonging to the Sligo district; also a constabulary police station.
Petty sessions are held there on alternate Saturdays; and fairs are held on June 15th and Sept. 18th; one is also held at Quiguboy on July 20th. At Pullogheany creek, on the east side of the bay of Killala, small vessels land kelp, &c, in summer: it has tolerably good shelter in most winds behind the breakwater. The ruins of a castle are near this creek, and there are also ruins of castles at Enniscroee and Lacken.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.