KILLASPICBROWN, or KILLASPECKBRONE, a parish, in the half-barony of UPPER-CABBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (W.) from Sligo, on the bay of Sligo; containing, with Coney and Oyster islands, 1812 inhabitants. It comprises 12,451 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
The land is principally in tillage, and there is some limestone, but no bog. It comprehends the glen of Knocknarea, which is about a mile in length and beautifully planted, with several cascades in the centre and stupendous rocks on each side; and at the western extremity is a fine view of the Ballysadere channel. At Cullinamore are some good beds of oysters. The principal seats are Cullinamore, the residence of S. Barrett, Esq.; Cummin, of T. Ormsby, Esq.; Glen Lodge, of M. Walsh, Esq.; Primrose Grange, of G. D. Meredith, Esq.; Rathcarrick, of J. Walker,Esq.; Strandhill, of G. Meredith, Esq.; and Seafield, of W. Phillips, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of St.
John's, Sligo: the tithes amount to £185. 1.9. In the R. C. divisions it also forms part of the union or district of St. John's, Sligo, and has a good slated chapel at the base of Knocknarea Hill. At Primrose Grange there is a school for boarding, instructing, clothing, and apprenticing 110 boys, endowed by the late Edward Nicholson, Esq., of Sligo, with £130 per annum, and 20 acres of mountain land; about 25 children are educated in another public school. Here are the ruins of an ancient church, said to have been founded by a bishop named Brone or Brown, from which the parish derives its name; but they are now nearly buried by the drifting sands, which have also covered about 400 acres of good land. There are numerous raths, especially near Rathcarrick.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.