KILLORAN, a parish, in the barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (N. W.) from Ballymote, on the road from Sligo to Tobbercurry; containing 3699 inhabitants. It comprises 7290 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2035 per annum. There is a considerable quantity of mountain land and some bog, also limestone.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, united by act of council, in 1819, to that of Kilvarnet, and is in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery of Achonry. The tithes amount to £337, of which £121. 10. is payable to the dean, and £215. 10. to the vicar; and the tithes of the benefice amount to £260. 10. The church, which is a small building with a square tower, was erected by aid of a gift of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1766, and has been recently repaired by a grant of £176 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £375 from the late Board, in 1811: the glebe of the union comprises 43a. 3r. 11p. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Carnacleigh. There is a meeting-house for Baptists at Coolaney. About 320 children are educated in four public schools, to one of which Major O'Hara contributes £16 and to each of the others £2 annually; and about 110 are educated in two private schools: there are also two Sunday schools. See COOLANEY.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.