KILSHALVEE, or KILLOWSHALWAY, a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8½ miles (W. N. W.) from Boyle, on the road to Ballina; containing 2034 inhabitants.
It comprises 5118 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and principally under tillage: the land is generally good; there is but little bog; limestone is abundant. Atville is the seat of E. Knott, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Killaraght; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Kingston. The tithes amount to £338. 9. 3., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Buninaden, and has a chapel at Killarvin.
About 300 children are educated in a national school; and there is another public school at Riversdale. There are some remains of the old church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.