KILTORA, or KILTURRAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, but chiefly in that of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Ballymote, on the road to Castlebar; containing 2481 inhabitants. This parish comprises 7009 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is principally under a gradually improving system of tillage; a large quantity of waste land has been brought into cultivation; there is a considerable extent of bog. Doo Castle, the seat of J. M.
McDonnell, Esq., occupies the site of an ancient fortress, of which there are still some remains near the present house. The living is a vicarage, in. the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Emlyfadd; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. C. Montgomery, Bart.
The tithes amount to £229. 13. 4½., of which £109, 7. 6. is payable to the lessee of the impropriator, and £120. 5. 10½. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Buninaden.
There are two private schools, in which are about 200 children. There are numerous Danish raths in the parish; and about three miles westward from Colloony are the remains of Meemlough castle, built by T. B. O'Hara; the walls are still entire and are perforated by flights of steps.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.