SHANCOE, or SHANCOUGH, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Boyle, on the road from Sligo to Ballyfarnon; containing 1208 inhabitants.
It is situated on the confines of the county of Leitrim, and comprises S909¾ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a large portion consists of mountain and bog; some of the land, however, is good; limestone abounds, and iron-ore is supposed to exist in the mountains. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Kilmactraney; the rectory is impropriate in Alex. Perceval, Esq. The tithes, amounting to £33. 4. 7½., are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and vicar. In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmactrany. A "Patron" is annually held on July 25th at St. James's Well.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.