TUMORE, a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. W.) from Boyle, on the road to Ballymote; containing 3395 inhabitants. It comprises 8496 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The portion of the land which is under cultivation, both in tillage and pasture, is of superior quality and makes a good return, but there is a good deal of mountain and bog: limestone is abundant for all purposes. Battlefield is the residence of James Knott, Esq.; and Mount Dodwell, of C. Thompson, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Emlyfadd; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. C. Montgomery, Bart. The tithes amount to £294. 5., of which £124. 5.
is payable to the impropriator, and £170 to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Keash, which comprises this parish, and that of Drumratt: the chapel at Keash, in Tumore parish, is a large building in good repair. There is a place of worship belonging to a Presbyterian congregation at Granamore; where also there is a school, and there is a national school at Templevaney: about 140 boys and 70 girls are educated in these schools. The remains of an old church with a burial-ground are at Tumore, and another ruin and enclosure of similar character is at Templevaney. The lofty hill of Keash contains several remarkable caves, some of which extend to a considerable length: the entrance to the largest is 30 feet high.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.