DONOHILL, a parish, partly in. the barony of CLANWILLIAM, but chiefly in that of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3¾ miles (N.) from Tipperary, on the new line of road to Nenagh; containing 4308 inhabitants. This parish comprises 12,812 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Greenfield, the residence of Col. W. Purefoy; and Philipstown, of H. B. Bradshaw, Esq., are the pri cipal seats. A mountain stream, called the Anacarthy, runs through the parish, where is a small village of that name, in which are a constabulary police station, a chapel and a school. It is in the diocese of Cashel; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of the Rev. R. Watts, and the vicarage forms part of the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Cashel. The tithes amount to £384. 12. 3¾., of which £200 is payable to the impropriators and the remainder to the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are two chapels, one at Anacarthy, and one at Donohill. There are five schools aided by subscriptions; in which about 500 children are taught. Some slight remains of the ancient church may be seen; there is a conical hill, supposed to be a Danish rath; and on an eminence near Anacarthy is a circular tower, called Ballysheedy Castle, forming a conspicuous object from a great distance.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.