SOLLOGHODMORE, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Tipperary, on the road to Limerick; containing 2791 inhabitants. It is situated on the borders of the county of Limerick and to the south of the parish of Solloghodbeg, which it much resembles in its agricultural character: there is neither bog nor waste land. Tillage is in a backward state; the land being deemed better adapted for pasture than grain: the farmers confine themselves very much to the management of the dairy. Much attention has been paid by Lord Stanley to the improvement of the stock, to which end he has imported several Durham bulls, which his tenants have the use of gratuitously. A copper mine was worked at Gortdrum in 1825, but the workings were soon abandoned. The seat of Lord 4 D 2 Stanley at Ballykisteen, on the Limerick road, is an elegant modern building, situated in a very fertile and improving part of the country, and commanding a fine view of the range of the Galtee mountains. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Cullen: the tithes amount to £314. 15.4½. There is a R. C. chapel at the village of Solloghod. A boys' school, founded by Lord Stanley, to the master of which he allows a salary of £25 per annum., is in connection with the Board of National Education; the mistress of a girls' school, also founded by his lordship, receives £20 per annum from him: each has a house and a small plot of ground: the usual attendance at the schools is from 40 to 60 children. There are some traces of Danish encampments.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.