TOOM, or TOEM, a parish, in the barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 6½ miles (N. W.) from TIPPERARY; containing 3566 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Toemverig, is situated on the river Anycarthy, near the new line of road from Tipperary to Nenagh, and was noted for its priory of Canons Regular, dedicated to St. Donan, who was formerly honoured here as patron, and was probably the founder. This house, which was a cell to the abbey of Inchenemeo, subsisted till the dissolution, and was granted by Queen Elizabeth, in the 28th of her reign, to Miler Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel. The parish comprises some extensive tracts of mountain, which might be easily reclaimed, and there are large tracts of bog both on the mountain and low lands, and considerable quantities of marl. The seats are Kilbeg, that of S. Bradshaw, Esq.; and Mountain Glen, of S. Chadwick, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop, to whose, mensal the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £215.8.4½. The church is a small dilapidated building, and it is in contemplation to erect another; in the meantime divine service is performed at Cappagh House, the residence of Mrs. Hunt, in the village of Cappaghwhite, which see. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly a district of itself, called Cappaghwhite, from the chapel being in that village; and partly in the union of Templebeg: there is also a chapel at Carnavarcha. About 270 children are taught in three public schools, of which two are supported by Lord Lismore and the perpetual curate; and there is also a Sunday school. There is a chalybeate spring in the parish, in great repute.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.