Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
(and some of the people around them.)
Please read the Introduction
before "jumping in at the deep end". It contains information
on the layout etc. of the associated files.
This Contents List is divided into the following
Monarchs since the Norman Conquest in 1066
showing the dates of their reigns
House of Normandy House of Stuart
1066-1087 William I 1603-1625 James I
1087-1100 William II 1625-1649 Charles I
1100-1135 Henry I
1135-1154 Stephen 1649-1653 Commonwealth/protectorate
1653-1658 Protectorate of
House of Plantagenet Oliver Cromwell
1154-1189 Henry II 1658-1659 Protectorate of
1189-1199 Richard I Richard Cromwell
1199-1216 John House of Stuart restored
1216-1272 Henry III 1660-1685 Charles II
1272-1307 Edward I 1685-1688 James II
1307-1327 Edward II 1689-1694 William and Mary (jointly)
1327-1377 Edward III
1377-1399 Richard II House of Orange
1694-1702 William III (sole ruler)
House of Lancaster 1702-1714 Anne
1399-1413 Henry IV
1413-1422 Henry V House of Hanover
1422-1461 Henry VI 1714-1727 George I
1727-1760 George II
House of York 1760-1820 George III
1461-1483 Edward IV 1820-1830 George IV
1483 Edward V 1830-1837 William IV
1483-1485 Richard III 1837-1901 Victoria
House of Tudor House of Saxe-Coburg
1485-1509 Henry VII 1901-1910 Edward VII
1509-1547 Henry VIII
1547-1553 Edward VI House of Windsor
1553-1558 Mary I 1910-1936 George V (a Saxe-Coburg until 1917)
1558-1603 Elizabeth I 1936 Edward VIII
1936-1952 George VI
1952- Elizabeth II
- From 1542 to 1801 all were Kings (or Queens) of Ireland.
- From James I & VI to Anne, all were both English and
- Anne has the peculiar distinction of having been Queen of
England and of Scotland until 1707 and of Great Britain thereafter.
- The George I & II were Kings of Great Britain and of
Ireland, George III was King of Great Britain and of Ireland
until the union (1801) when he became King of the United Kingdom
of Great Britain and Ireland, as were all the following monarchs.
- Monarchs from William IV onwards had various other titles
as well, such as Emperor/Empress of India (Victoria etc), King
of British Dominions, etc, etc.
- In the lists below, you will find the term "King of
England" or "Queen of England", this is intended
simply to distinguish them from those kings who were only kings
of Scots and is not intended as a title.
Kings of England (with dates of birth and death)
- Alfred the Great, King of
- Athelstan, King of England.
- Canute, the Dane, King of
- Charles I., King of England.
- Charles II., King of England.
- Edgar, King of England. (944-975)
- St.Edmund, King of the
East Angles. (?-870)
- Edmund I., Edmund the Elder,
King of England. (c922-946)
- Edmund II., Edmund Ironside,
King of England. (c981-1016)
- Edred, King of England. (?-955)
- Edward the Elder,
King of England. (?-925)
- Edward the Martyr,
King of England. (c962-978)
- Edward the
Confessor, King of England. (c1005-1066)
- Edward I., King of England.
- Edward II., King of England.
- Edward III., King of
- Edward IV., King of England.
- Edward V., Prince of Wales,
Earl of Ludlow, King of England. (1470-1483)
- Edward VI., King of England.
- Edward VII., King of
- Edward VIII., King
of England. (1894-1972)
- Edwin, King of Northumbria.
- Edwy, King of England. (c940-959)
- Egbert, King of England.
- Ethelbert, King
of Kent. (c552-616)
- Ethelbert, King of England.
- Ethelred I., King of England
- Ethelred II., King of
England, the Unready. (c968-1016)
- Ethelwolf, King of England.
- George I., Lewis, King of
- George II., Augustus, King
of England. (1683-1760)
- George III., William Frederick,
King of England. (1738-1820)
- George IV., Augustus Frederick,
King of England. (1762-1830)
- George V., King of England.
- George VI., King of England.
- Hardicanute King of
England and Denmark. (1018-1041)
- Harold I., Harefoot, King
of England. (?-1039)
- Harold II., King of England.
- Henry I., King of England.
- Henry II., King of England.
- Henry III., King of England.
- Henry IV., King of England.
- Henry V., King of England.
- Henry VI., King of England.
- Henry VII., King of England.
- Henry VIII., King of England.
- Ina, King of the West Saxons.
- James I. of England, and
VI of Scotland. (1566-1625)
- James II., King of England.
- John, King of England. (1166-1216)
- Offa, King of Mercia. (?-794)
- Oswald, King of Northumbria.
- Penda, King of Mercia.
- Richard I., the Lionheart,
King of England. (1157-1199)
- Richard II., King of England.
- Richard III., King of
England, Duke of Gloucester. (1450-1485)
- Stephen, King of England.
- William I., the Conqueror,
King of England, Duke of Normandy. (1027-1087)
- William II., Rufus, King
of England. (c1060-1100)
- William III., King of
England (with Mary) Prince of Orange. (1650-1702)
- William IV., King of England.
Kings of Scots
- Alexander I., King
of Scots. (?-1124)
- Alexander II., King
of Scots. (1198-1249)
- Alexander III.,
King of Scots. (1241-1285)
- David I., King of Scots.
- David II., King of Scots.
- James I, King of Scots.
- James V, King of Scots.
- James VI. of Scotland, and
I of England. (1566-1625)
- John de Baliol, King of
- Malcolm III, King
of Scots. (?-1093)
- Robert I., King of
- Robert II., King of
- William, King of Scots.
- Odo, Bishop of Bayeux and
Earl of Kent. (c1032-1096)
- George Monk, duke of
- George, Duke of Clarence,
Lieutenant of Ireland. (1449-1478)
- William Augustus,
Duke of Cumberland. (1721-1765)
- George Villiers,
Duke of Buckingham. (1592-1628)
- George Villiers,
Duke of Buckingham. (1627-1688)
- John, Duke of Bedford, Regent
of France. (1390-1435)
- Charles, the last Duke of
Burgundy, Count of Charolais. (1433-1477)
- Augustus Henry Fitzroy,
Duke of Grafton. (1736-1811)
- Thomas, Duke of Gloucester,
Lord High Constable of England. (?-1397)
- John of Gaunt, Earl
of Derby, Duke of Lancaster. (1340-1399)
- James, Duke of Monmouth.
- Henry, Duke of Lancaster,
Earl of Derby. (?-1362)
- John Maitland, Duke
of Lauderdale. (1616-1682)
- John Dudley, Duke of
Northumberland, Viscount Lisle, Earl of Warwick. (1502-1553)
- Richard, third Duke of
York, Regent of France, Lieutenant of Ireland.(?-1460) .
- John Stuart; Earl of
Bute, English Statesman.
- William Pitt, Earl
of Chatham; (1708-1778)
- John Pitt, Earl of
Chatham; &c. (1756-1835)
- Richard, Earl
of Cornwall, King of the Romans. (1209-1272)
- Piers Gaveston,
Earl of Cornwall. (?-1312)
- Henry Stuart, Earl
of Darnley. (1546-1567)
- Godwin, Earl of Kent.
- Simon de Montfort, 4th Count,
Earl of Liecester. (?-1218)
- Simon de Montfort, Earl
of Liecester. (?-1265)
- Roger Mortimer,
Earl of March. (1287-1330)
- William Marshal,
Earl of Pembroke(1146-1219)
- Anthony Woodville,
Earl Rivers. (1442-1483)
- Sir Thomas Wentworth,
Earl of Strafford. (1593-1641)
- Richard Neville,
Earl of Warwick, "The King Maker". (c1428-1471)
Emperors and Empresses
- Oliver Cromwell,
Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England. (1599-1658)
- George Grenville,
English Statesman. (1712-1770)
- John Hampden, Statesman.
- Algernon Sidney,
English Republican. (1620-1683)
- Charles Edward Stuart,
The Young Pretender. (1721-1788)
- James Francis Edward
Stuart, The Old Pretender. (1688-1765)
- Edward Vernon, British
- Wat Tyler, insurrection
- John Wickliffe,
the 'Morning Star of the Reformation,' (1324-1384)
- Edgar Atheling, or
Prince Edgar. (105?-11??)
- Edward, Prince of Wales,
the Black Prince. (1330-1376)
- George, Prince
of Denmark. (1653-1708)
- Prince Rupert, or Robert,
Prince of Bavaria. (1619-1682)
Queens of Kings
The above information was gleaned from
various sources and then put together
by Colin Hinson © 1996.
since 1st June 2014
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015