"BELHELVIE, a parish, in the district and county of Aberdeen, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Aberdeen; containing 1594 inhabitants. The name of this place is derived from a word in the Gaelic language, signifying the "mouths of the rivulets", the locality being marked by the course of several small streams into the sea. Here were several Druidical temples, which have now disappeared before the operations of husbandry. . . The parish is bounded on the east by the German Ocean, and the number of acres within its limits is 19,000, of which 5000 were recovered not long since from moorland, and 5000 still consist of sea-beech, peatbog, and wood. About 4000 acres of the cultivated land are in grain crop, and 10,000 in turnip, potatoes, hay, pasture, grass, &c. The coast consists of a fine sandy beach; but the general character of the surface, from the sea to the western extremity, is hilly and broken. . . . A salmon-fishery is carried on along the coast, in which stakenets are employed, and the profits arising from it are very considerable. Fairs are held for the sale of cattle, in spring, summer, and autumn. Ecclesiastically the parish is subject to the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen, and is in the patronage of the Crown: the minister's stipend is £179. 13., and there is a good manse, with a glebe of five acres. The church, which is in due repair, contains 519 sittings. There are places of worship for the Free Church and United Presbyterian Synod. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]