"CAIRNIE, a parish, chiefly in the district of Strathbogie, county of Aberdeen, but partly in the county of Banff, 4 miles (N. W.) from Huntly; containing 1638 inhabitants. This place formed part of the lordship of Strathbogie, which was granted to Sir Adam Gordon, by King Robert Bruce, after the defeat and attainder of Cumin, Earl of Badenoch. It was the original estate of the family of Gordon, whose property afterwards became greatly extended. . . The annual value of real property in the parish is £5145. Grain, black-cattle, and dairy produce, which are the principal marketable commodities, are taken for sale to Huntly, or sent to the coast. Facilities of communication are afforded by the road from Aberdeen to Inverness, which passes through the parish. Cairnie is ecclesiastically in the presbytery of Strathbogie, synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the Duke of Richmond; the minister's stipend is £210, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £25 per annum. The church, which occupies a central situation, was built at the beginning of the present century. There is a place of worship for members of the Free Church. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]