"CRUDEN, or Invercruden, a parish, in the district of Ellon, county of Aberdeen, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Peterhead; containing, with the villages of Finnyfold or Whinnie-Fauld, Bullers-Buchan, and the Ward, 2349 inhabitants. This place was the scene of a memorable battle fought in the year 1005, upon a plain near the bay of Ardendraught, between Malcolm II. and the Danes under Canute, in which the latter, who had a castle in the neighbourhood, were totally defeated. The parish is situated on the shore of the German Ocean; it is eleven miles in length, and varies in breadth from four to seven miles, mostly comprising cultivated land. . . Husbandry is on a respectable footing, great improvements having been made, especially in draining; and the farmers, who in general have commodious houses, live comfortably. . . A carding and spinning mill was lately erected on the estate of Aquaharney, and is conducted on a somewhat extensive scale: the thread manufactories formerly employing so many hands have become totally extinct. . . A small cattle-fair is held in April, and another in May; and some business is done in the sale of fish, there being a salmon-fishery near the Ward, and stations at the other villages for the fish common to the coast. Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Ellon, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Erroll; the minister's stipend is £204, with a manse, and a glebe of six acres of arable land and pasturage ground. Cruden church was built in 1776, and lately enlarged. A place of worship has been erected in connexion with the Free Church, and there is also an episcopal chapel. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]