"ELLON, a village and parish, in the district of Ellon, county of Aberdeen, 16 miles (N. by E.) from Aberdeen; containing 2941 inhabitants. The name of this place is supposed to be derived from a Gaelic term signifying an island, and to have been applied on account of the situation of a small island in the river Ythan, near the village, and contiguous to the ferry formerly used on the principal line of road leading from Aberdeen to the north-eastern district of the county. . . . The PARISH is mostly situated on the northern bank of the river Ythan. It measures ten miles in its greatest length, and seven miles in its greatest breadth, and comprises nearly 20,000 acres, of which about 15,000 or 16,000 are arable and the remainder moor, with the exception of 200 acres of plantations. . . Threshing-mills are numerous, and the farm-houses and offices are in general convenient and well built. Sheepfarming is unknown: the cattle, formerly the Aberdeenshire horned and Angus polled breeds, have been latterly much mixed with the Teeswater, which prevails to a considerable extent. . . The mansion-house of Arnage, seated in the valley of the Ebrie, on the bank of the stream, is an ancient structure commanding a pleasing view of the scenery in the immediate locality. . . The village contains nearly 500 persons, and being the principal market for a large district, and the residence of several thriving traders, is the scene of considerable traffic. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is the seat of the presbytery of Ellon, in the synod of Aberdeen, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £219, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £18 per annum. The church, erected in 1777, is a plain commodious building, accommodating 1200 persons: it is lighted at the evening service with gas. There is an episcopal chapel, containing between 300 and 400 sittings; also places of worship for members of the Free Church, Independents, and the United Presbyterian Synod. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]