"FINTRAY, a parish, in the district of Aberdeen and county of Aberdeen, 2 ½ miles (E.) from Kintore; containing 1032 inhabitants. This place is said to have derived its name from a Gaelic term signifying "the fair bank or boundary of the river". . . The parish is in that part of Aberdeenshire called Forniartin, and stretches from five to six miles along the bank of the river Don. . . The violent and destructive floods of the river, which runs from west to east, and falls into the sea near Old Aberdeen, are among the most remarkable events of modern times connected with the history of the parish. . . Good embankments, however, have been constructed; and at Fintray and Wester Fintray, about 300 acres of land of very fine quality are now protected. . .The manufacture of fine woollen-cloth is pursued at Cothal mills, established in 1798, and which have been regularly carried on since that period: it produces about 8000 yards per month. . . Ecclesiastically Fintray is within the bounds of the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen, and the patronage is vested in Sir John Forbes, Bart.: the stipend is £217, with a manse, built in 1804, and a glebe of the annual value of £10. The church erected in 1821, is a commodious and substantial building, and contains 500 sittings. There is a parochial school, in which Latin and mathematics are taught, with the usual branches of education; the master has a salary of £28, with about £23 fees, a portion of the Dick bequest, a house, and a quarter of an acre of garden-ground. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]