"HUNTLY, a parish and burgh of barony, in the district of Strathbogie, county of Aberdeen, 39 miles (N. W.) from Aberdeen, and 14.5 (N. by E.) from Edinburgh; containing 3642 inhabitants, of whom 2731 are in the burgh. This parish, consisting of the united parishes of Dumbennan and Kinoir, anciently formed part of the ample possessions of the powerful family of Cumyn, of whose baronial seat, Strathbogie Castle, there are still considerable remains. . . The TOWN derives its name from its founders, the family of Gordon. It is beautifully situated on a peninsula, near the confluence of the rivers Doveron and Bogie, over the former of which is an ancient bridge of one spacious arch, and over the latter a substantial bridge of three arches. The streets are regularly formed, intersecting each other at right angles; and in the centre is a noble square, surrounded with handsome houses, some of which are of very elegant appearance. Huntly is well paved, and lighted with gas; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. There are several libraries, the chief of which are, the Farmers' Agricultural Library, an evangelical subscription library, and a circulating library: there is also a reading-room, supplied with public journals and periodical publications. . . The linen manufacture was formerly carried on here to a great extent, but since the termination of the war it has very much declined; and at present not more than about forty weavers are employed. . . The parishes of Dumbennan and Kinoir were united in 1727, and, in honour of the eldest son of the Duke of Gordon, called Huntly. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes the parish is within the limits of the presbytery of Strathbogie, synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £185. 13. 9., with manse, and a glebe valued at £25 per annum; patron, the Duke of Richmond Huntly church, situated in the centre of the town, is a spacious plain structure, erected in 1805, at a cost of £2600, and containing 180 sittings. The new church, erected in 1841, at an expense of £1400, is als in the town, and contains 1100 sittings. . . There are places of worship for members of the Free Church, the United Presbyterian Church, and Independents; also an Episcopalian chapel, and a Roman Catholic chapel, the latter a handsome structure in the later English style. . . More "
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]