"KEITH-HALL-AND-KINKELL, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Inverury; containing 913 inhabitants. The former of these two districts was anciently called Montkeggie, a word of uncertain derivation; it assumed the present appellation after the larger part of it had come into the possession of Keith, Earl-Marischal of Scotland. . . The PARISH is separated from the parish of Inverury on the west by the river Urie, and from that of Kintore in the same quarter by the river Don, which streams unite about the centre of the western boundary. . . The canal from Inverury passes parallel to the Don, all the way, to [Aberdeen]. Pike, eels, and trout are found in both the above-mentioned streams, and salmon are also taken in the Urie. In rainy seasons they overflow their banks, especially the Don, and occasion much damage to the neighbouring crops. Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Garioch, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Kintore: the minister's salary is £217, with a manse, and a glebe of 25 acres, valued a £30 per annum. The church was built in 1771, and accommodates 600 person with sittings. The Society of Friends have a place of worship at Kinrauck, attached to which is a cemetery. The parochial school affords instruction in Latin and geography, with all the elementary branches; the master has a salary of £30, with a house, and £15 fees. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]