"KEMNAY, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Kintore; containing 637 inhabitants. This place is situated on the banks of the river Don, which, by its circuitous course in this part, forms the boundary on two sides, separating Kemnay on the north from the parish of Inverury, and on the west from Chapel of Garioch and Monymusk. . . Its surface in general is uneven, and diversified with a picturesque range of small hills called kerns, running nearly parallel with the river. The scenery is beautiful, combining well-cultivated arable grounds, rich and verdant pastures, and numerous thriving plantations. . . The crops consist chiefly of oats, bear, potatoes, and turnips, peas and wheat being very scantily sown: the rotation system is followed. Much of the mossy land has been brought into cultivation, and now produces good corn; but considerable tracts still remain, supplying the inhabitants with their ordinary fuel. The whole of the lands, till lately, were held by Lord Kintore and another proprietor. . . Kemnay House, a modern structure, is surrounded with thick and thriving plantations, and is approached by an ornamental avenue of very fine beech- trees. The road from Aberdeen to Monymusk passes through the parish, and the basin of the Aberdeenshire canal, at Inverury, is only five miles distant. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Garioch, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Kintore: the minister's stipend is £150, of which about two-fifths are received from the exchequer; with a manse, and a glebe valued at £15 per annum. The present church is a handsome edifice, erected in 1844, and will accommodate about 400 persons. The former church was very ancient, and had become ruinous: it was extensively repaired in 1632, and again in 1794. Kemnay parochial school, which, since the appointment of the present master, Mr. Andrew Stevenson, has been admirably conducted, and, in conjunction with a flourishing academy under the same auspices, has excited much interest, affords instruction in all the branches of a sound education. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]