"LOGIE-COLDSTONE, a parish, in the district of Kincardine-O'Neil, county of Aberdeen, 9 miles (W.) from Kincardine O'Neil; containing 936 inhabitants. This place comprises the ancient parishes of Logie and Coldstone, united in 1618, and the former of which derives its name from a Gaelic term signifying a "hollow" or "low situation", which is faithfully descriptive of its character. Of the name Coldstone, formerly Cohtane, the derivation is altogether uncertain. The parish occupies a district between the rivers Don and Dee, from both of which it is nearly equidistant. . . The lands have been inclosed; the houses and offices are usually substantial and well arranged; threshingmills have been erected on most of the farms, and all the more recent improvements in the construction of agricultural implements have been adopted. The moors abound with grouse, snipes, woodcocks, partridges, hares, and game of every other variety. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil, synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is about £217 with a manse, and a glebe valued at £15 per annum; alternate patrons, the Crown, and the Farquharson family of Invercauld. Logie-Coldstone church, rebuilt in 1780, is a neat plain structure, and well adapted to the accommodation of the parishioners. The parochial school is attended by about 100 children. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]