"LONGSIDE, a parish, in the district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Peterhead; containing 2612 inhabitants. This place was disjoined from Peterhead, and received a separate erection, in the year 1620, when a church was built on an estate called Longside, from which the parish was named. . . Its surface is either level, or rises in very gentle undulations, so that, during the overflowings of the river Ugie, which runs through the parish from west to cast, large portions of the land are under water. . . The landowners are numerous; but two only are resident, occupying the mansions of Cairngall and Innerquhomry, which are modern edifices. The annual value of real property in the parish is £5443. It contains the villages of Longside and Mintlaw, two miles and a half distant from each other, and both founded in the early part of the present century; in the former are 384 persons, and in the latter 240. A flourishing manufactory of woollencloth was carried on for some time; but it was discontinued in the year 1828. A distillery has been at work about twenty years. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Deer, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Crown: the minister's stipend is £217, with manse, and a glebe of several acres, valued at £17 per annum. The old church having been found insufficient for the accommodation of the parishioners, the present edifice, a plain and commodious building, was erected in 1836; it contains sittings for 1000 persons, which are apportioned among the heritors, and used by the tenants rent-free. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]