"LONMAY, a parish, in the district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Fraserburgh; containing, with the village of St. Combs, 1919 inhabitants. The name is supposed to have been derived from a word in the Celtic language descriptive of the flat marshy nature of the ground, now drained. . . The sea-shore is flat and sandy, without bay or headland; and with the exception of two or three moderate ridges, the interior of the parish consists of two extensive plains, of which the northern contains the estates of Cairness, Craigellie, Lonmay, Blairmormond, and part of Inveralochy and Crimonmogate. . . The only village is St. Combs, situated at the north-eastern extremity of Lonmay, by the sea-side, and principally inhabited by fishermen: the main part of the population are scattered over the parish. The manufacture of kelp, formerly carried on to some extent, is now at a very low ebb, in consequence of the free importation of barilla. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen; patron, Gordon of Buthlaw. . . The church, which was built in 1787 upon a new site, is pretty conveniently situated, though more than seven miles from the southern boundary of the parish; it contains 680 sittings, and is in good repair. Originally the church stood by the seaside, near the village of St. Combs; in 1607 it was removed to the spot which is now occupied as a burying ground, where it remained till the present edifice was erected. There is an additional parochial church at Kinninmonth. . . There is also an episcopal chapel, built in 1797, the minister of which is paid from the seat-rents; it contains 342 sittings. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]