"LUMPHANAN, a parish, in the district of Kincardine-O'Neil, county of Aberdeen, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Kincardine O'Neil; containing 964 inhabitants. This place is celebrated as the scene of the death of the famous Macbeth, who, after reigning for seventeen years, was killed here by Macduff on the 5th of December, 1056. . . The PARISH is situated between the rivers Dee and Don, and is six miles in length from north to south, and four miles from east to west, comprising 7620 acres, of which 2770 are arable, 550 wood, and the remainder uncultivated. . . There are five seats of proprietors, all of them modern buildings, namely, Auchinhove, Findrack, Glenmillan, Pitmurchie, and Camphill. . . Lumphanan is ecclesiastically in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil and synod of Aberdeen. . . The church was erected in 1762, and contains 383 sittings. The parochial school, in addition to the ordinary branches, affords instruction in Greek, Latin, and mathematics. . . There is also a school at Camphill, the master of which receives the interest of £150, left by James Hunter, Esq., of Darrahill. parochial library at Tillyching, established in 1814, contains upwards of 400 volumes. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]