"METHLICK, a parish, in the county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Tarves; containing 1737 inhabitants. This parish is said to derive its name from two Gaelic words signifying "the vale of honey". The church was anciently dedicated to St. Devenick. . .The parish is intersected by the river Ythan; two-thirds of it are situated on the northern side, in the district of Buchan, and the remaining portion on the south side of the river, in the district of Formartine. A detached part on the east, of small extent, is separated by a tongue of land belonging to Tarves parish, and is called Little Drumquhindle, or Inverebrie, the latter term from its situation at the junction of the brook Ebrie with the Ythan. It is also sometimes named the Six Ploughs, on account of its measurement in ancient times by so many ploughs. . . The farm-houses are mostly slated buildings of one floor; the tenements of the crofters are roofed with thatch. There are upwards of 200 tenants, all of them under the Earl of Aberdeen. . . The facilities of communication are pretty good: there are commutation roads leading to New Deer, Fyvie, Ellon, Meldrum, and Tarves; and a mail-gig runs daily between Methlick and Aberdeen. To the latter place the dairy-produce is sent for sale; grain is also forwarded thither, and to Inverury and Newburgh. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Ellon, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Aberdeen; the minister's stipend is £160, with a manse, and a glebe of six acres of arable and grass land. Methlick church, situated on the southern bank of the Ythan, was rebuilt in 178O, and repaired in 1840. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]