"MONYMUSK, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of Aberdeen, 125 miles (N. by E.) from Edinburgh; containing 895 inhabitants. This parish appears to have derived its name from two Gaelic words, Monaugh, "high or hilly", and Mousick, "low and marshy ground"; which are descriptive of the general appearance of the land. A priory was founded here in the eleventh century by Malcolm Canmore. . . Few other events of historical importance have occurred; but near the bank of the river Don is a field called the Camp Field, where, according to tradition. King Robert Bruce's army lay immediately previous to the battle of Inverury. . . Monymusk House, the only mansion of any note, is an ancient and a spacious structure, pleasantly situated on the south bank of the Don. It has a library containing about 5000 volumes, and a collection of valuable paintings, most of which are by the old masters. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Garioch and synod of Aberdeen; patron, the Crown. . . Monymusk church is very ancient, with a square tower at the west end: it is supposed to have been built in the eleventh century. . . There is also an episcopal chapel in the village, seating about 150 persons. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]