"DEER-NEW, a parish, in the district of Deer, county of Aberdeen, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Cuminestown; containing, with the village of Kirktown of New Deer, 3756 inhabitants. This parish originally formed a part of Old Deer, and was separated from it about the beginning of the seventeenth century; it was at first termed Auchreddy, from the land on which the church is built, and this name is engraved on the communionplate, with the date 1694. . . The parish, which is one of the largest in the county, is upwards of fourteen miles long, and upwards of eight miles and a half broad, containing 29,020 acres. With the exception of Morraond hill, it is the highest ground in Buchan, its elevation being from 200 to 300 feet above the sea. . . There is a good road to Ellon, thirteen miles distant, and the turnpike-road from Peterhead to Banff crosses the parish. For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes the parish is within the bounds of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen; patron, the Crown. The stipend of the minister is £219, with a manse, and glebe valued at £20 per annum. The old church, now entirely removed, was built in 1622, and an aisle was added to it in 1773. In 1838 another church was erected, at a cost of about £3000; it is a neat edifice in the late English style, and affords accommodation for 1600 persons. At Savock is a chapel of ease, built in 1834 at a cost of £819, and which contains 70 sittings. The parish contains three meeting-houses belonging to the United Presbyterian Synod, but the number of communicants in each is very small: there is also a place of worship in connexion with the Free Church. There are three parochial schools, situated respectively at Kirktown, Savock, and Whitehill, in which the classics, mathematics, and all the usual branches of education are taught. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]