"NEWHILLS, a parish, in the district of Aberdeen and county of Aberdeen, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from the city of Aberdeen; containing 2865 inhabitants. . . Before its erection into a parish, the district formed part of the extensive parish of Old Machar, or St. Machar, whose church was in the town of Old Aberdeen. . . The PARISH is about six miles in length and five in breadth, and contains 16,850 acres. . . Towards the west the surface is hilly and mountainous, part of it covered with wood, and part with heath and stones; in the north-eastern quarter the land is tolerably flat, and more adapted to agricultural purposes. . . Dairy-farming is much followed, on account of the vicinity of the parish to Aberdeen and the proximity of the suburban village of Woodside, where the produce is disposed of to great advantage. . . The chief mansions are Springhill and Hazelhead; and in addition to these, the houses of Sheddocksley, Fairley, Craibstone, Cloghill, Gateside, Waterton, and Newhills, the last the property of the minister, are deserving of mention. There are three paper manufactories in the vicinity of the river Don. . . Eight meal-mills are at work in the parish, and two flour-mills, which prepare large quantities of grain for Aberdeen and the country around. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is within the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen. . . The church, which is handsome and commodious, and centrally situated, was built in 1830. There is a parochial school, in which the usual branches of education are taught. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]