"MACHAR, NEW, a parish, in the district of Aberdeen, and county of Aberdeen, 10 miles (N, W. by N.) from Aberdeen; containing 1262 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its appellation from its having been disjoined from Old Machar, comprehends certain lands named Straloch, in the county of Banff, though entirely surrounded by the county of Aberdeen. . . It is bounded on the south by the river Don, and is for the most part situated between hills of moderate elevation, gently sloping, and inclining from north-west to south-east; while the intermediate surface is agreeably diversified by little hills. . . The produce consists chiefly of barley, bear, oats, and the usual green crops, grown generally under the five or seven shift rotation. Within the last twenty years the improvements carried on here have been very considerable, comprising principally draining and liming. . . The mansion of Parkhill is a spacious modern residence, surrounded by ornamental plantations, with a rich lawn beautifully diversified with wood and water, and commanding a fine view up the valley of the Don. . . The Aberdeenshire canal passes within half a mile of the southern boundary of the parish. The produce of the district is sold at Aberdeen, whence coal is brought to this place, for the use of those able to purchase it; but turf and peat are burnt by the labouring classes. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Fife: the minister's stipend is £217, with manse, and a glebe of nearly twenty acres, valued at £17 per annum. New Machar church was built in 1791, and contains between 600 and 700 sittings. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]