"OYNE, a parish, in the district of Garioch, county of ABERDEEN containing 796 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Don, which separates it from Monymusk: the Shevock, a tributary of the Ury, separates it on the north-west from Insch and Culsamond; and the Ury itself, on the north, from Rayne. . . The river Don, in its course along the boundary of Oyne, affords excellent salmon and trout-fishing; and the Ury, and its tributary the Gady, are well stocked with trout, eels, and pike. . . Large tracts of waste land have been reclaimed and cultivated within the present century, and most of the farms have the appendage of a good threshing-mill, driven either by horses or by water. . . Two branches of the turnpike-road from Inverury pass through the parish, one leading by Pitmachie towards Huntly, and the other by Insch to the same place; and besides other coaches, the Inverness mail takes this route. The inhabitants send their produce, comprising grain, meal, and large quantities of butter, cheese, and eggs, to Port-Elphinstone, to be conveyed by canal to Aberdeen. . . Oyne is ecclesiastically in the presbytery of Garioch, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of Captain H. Knight Erskine, of Pittodrie: the minister's stipend is £l6l, with a manse, and a glebe of eight acres valued at £15. 15. per annum. The church, situated on a gentle eminence at the north-east end of the parish, is a small plain edifice with a belfry, built in 1806. There is also a place of worship for members of the Free Church. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]