"STRICHEN, a parish, in the district of Buchan, county of Aberdeen; containing, with the two villages of New Leeds, and Strichen or Mormond, 2012 inhabitants, of whom 681 are in the village of Strichen, 15 miles (W. N. W.) from Peterhead. This place, the name of which is supposed to be a corruption of Strath Ion, or "the strath of John", consists of portions of land severed from the adjacent parishes of Rathen and Fraserburgh, and erected into a separate parish, by act of the General Assembly in the seventeenth century. . . The PARISH is about seven miles in extreme length, and varies from two to three miles in breadth, comprising nearly 10,500 acres, of which 6300 are arable, 450 woodland and plantations, and the remainder moorland pasture, moss, and waste. . . The village of Strichen is pleasantly situated nearly in the centre of the parish; it is well built, and contains some good houses. . . A library, a Masonic lodge, and a lodge of Odd Fellows, are kept up; there are some good inns, and a friendly society for the benefit of aged men and widows. . . . Ecclesiastically this place is within the limits of the presbytery of Deer and synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is £158. 7. 8., of which more than one-third part is paid from the exchequer; with a manse, and a glebe valued at £6 per annum patron, Lord Lovat. Strichen church being in a state of decay, and also much too small for the accommodation of the parishioners, was taken down, and the present church erected in 1799; it is a neat substantial structure containing about 900 sittings. There are places of worship for dissenters. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]