"TARVES, a parish, in the county of Aberdeen, 17 miles (N. N. W.) from Aberdeen; containing 2397 inhabitants. . . Tarves is about eleven miles and a half in extreme length, and six and a half at its greatest breadth, comprising about 12,000 acres, of which nearly 11,000 are arable and good pasture, 1000 woodland, and the remainder moss and moor. . . The crops usually raised are barley, oats, bear, turnips, potatoes, and cultivated grasses. Of these, the potatoes are grown only in small quantities for home consumption. Turnip husbandry is practised to a considerable extent, and with much success. . . The shipping of cattle from Aberdeen for the Smithfield market has of late years been practised to a considerable extent by the farmers of the parish. . . Agriculture throughout the parish has undergone a total change since the latter part of the last century. The lower grounds, where the stagnant waters rendered the operations of the plough impracticable, have been drained, and the higher parts cleaned, well prepared for the various sowings, and preserved by good inclosures. . . Ecclesiastically this place is in the presbytery of Ellon, synod of Aberdeen, and in the patronage of the Earl of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £192, of which about £30 are received from the heritors by a private agreement; with a manse, and a glebe of four acres valued at about £10. 10. per annum. Tarves church was built in 1798, and repaired an improved about 1823; it is a spacious and comfortable edifice, capable of accommodating 870 persons with sittings. There is a place of worship for dissenters at Craigdam. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]