"TULLYNESSLE-AND-FORBES, a parish, in the district of Alford, county of Aberdeen, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Alford; containing 846 inhabitants. The former of these ancient parishes, which were united by act of the General Assembly in 1808, derives its name, in some records Tullynesset, from the Gaelic; signifying either a dwelling on a sloping bank, or a dwelling upon the river Esset, from the situation of its church and manse. The latter parish was named from its proprietors, the ancient family of Forbes. . . The parish is bounded on the south by the Don, with the exception of a small part which stretches across the river at the south-western point. It is nearly seven miles in extreme length and four miles in breadth, comprising about 10,000 acres, of which 3500 are arable, 1100 meadow and pasture, 1300 woodland and plantations, and the remainder moorland pasture and waste. The surface is intersected with hilly ridges, interspersed with glens, and extending towards the south-east from a chain of lofty hills which surround the parish on the north and west. . . Crops are raised of oats, barley, and bear; occasionally a little wheat; potatoes, turnips, flax, and the usual grasses. The husbandry is good, and a regular rotation of crops is duly observed; bone-dust has been introduced as manure. In general the farm-buildings are substantially built, roofed with slate, and adapted to the extent of the several farms; the cottages of the smaller tenants, also, are comfortable and commodious. . . Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen: the minister's stipend is £222. 3. 6., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum; patron, the Earl of Fife. The church is a substantial structure, affording ample accommodation. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]