"TURRIFF, a parish and burgh of barony and seat of a presbytery, in the district of Turriff, county of Aberdeen; containing 3146 inhabitants, of whom 1309 are in the burgh, 11 miles (S. by E.) from Banff, and 34 (N. N. W.) from Aberdeen. This place derives its name, signifying in the Gaelic language "heights" or "towers", either from the hills surrounding the parish, or from its ancient castles. . .The TOWN is pleasantly situated on the bank of a rivulet to which it gives name, about two furlongs from its influx into the Doveron; and comprises one principal street of moderate extent, and several others of inferior order. . . The houses are substantial and neatly built, and to most of them are attached small gardens tastefully laid out, which give to the town a cheerful and lively aspect; the streets are lighted with gas from works established by a joint-stock company in 1839. . . The PARISH is bounded on the north-west by the river Doveron, separating it from the parishes of Forglen and Marnoch; and is rather more than six miles in length and five miles in breadth, comprising 21,300 acres, of which 13,555 are arable, 3000 woodland and plantations, and the remainder moorland pasture and waste. . . In general the farm-houses are substantially built of stone, and roofed with slate, and are commodious and well arranged. . . In this parish the old woodlands and the plantations are very extensive; of the latter more than 700 acres are comparatively recent. . . For ECCLESIASTICAL purposes this place is within the limits of the presbytery of Turriff and synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is about £232, with manse, and a glebe valued at £15 per annum; patron, the Earl of Fife. Turriff church, erected in 1794, and enlarged in 1830 by the addition of an aisle, is a neat plain structure, conveniently situated. There are an Episcopal chapel, a Free church, and a place of worship for Independents. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]