"UDNY, a parish, in the district of Ellon, county of Aberdeen, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Old Meldrum; containing 1450 inhabitants. This place derived its name from the ancient family of Udny, who have held possession of the barony more than 500 years, and whose descendant. Colonel Udny, is the present proprietor. The barony, and several portions of land in the parishes of Ellon, Tarves, Logie-Buchan, and Foveran, were erected into the present parish of Udny, by authority of an act of parliament passed for that purpose, in 1597. The parish is nearly circular in form, and comprises about 12,000 acres. Of this area, 8500 acres are arable, 400 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, of which a large portion might be reclaimed, moorland pasture and waste. . . Udny Castle, the ancient baronial residence of the Udny family, appears to have been erected about the close of the fifteenth century. It is a building of four stories, and the walls are of great thickness. . . . There is no village. Various handicraft trades are carried on in different parts, and the several shops for the sale of groceries and other articles for the supply of the inhabitants are distributed throughout the parish. . . . Ecclesiastically this place is within the limits of the presbytery of Ellon and synod of Aberdeen. The minister's stipend is £217. 7. 2., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £ 10 per annum; patron, Colonel Udny. The church, erected in 1521, is a substantial structure with a low spire, and contains 750 sittings. Udny parochial school is attended by about thirty children; the master has a salary of £32, with a house and garden, and the school-fees average £20. . . More"
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1851) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]