[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ABERLEMNO, a parish in the district and county of Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles N.E. of Forfar. There is a railway station at Aulbar. It lies at the confluence of the river Lemno with the south Esk. The district is undulating, the surface in the higher parts covered with broom and heath, that in the lower fertile, and subject to inundations from the Esk. There are several quarries of slate and stone, both for building and paving. The living, value £288, is in the presbytery of Forfar, in the patronage of the Crown and Smythe of Methven. The extensive remains of Melgund Castle, which is said to have been built by Cardinal Beaton, and to which he was accustomed to retire for purposes less innocent than mere relaxation from business, are to be seen here. The property is now in the Panmure family. Many interesting indications exist of this parish having been the scene of a battle in remote times, such as cairns, coffins and monumental stones; one of the most perfect of the stones is in the churchyard, it has on one side a curious cross in bold relief. It has been conjectured that these "Cross Stones of Aberlemno" commemorate a defeat of the Danish army which was sent into Scotland early in the 11th century. On the highest point in the parish are remains of an ancient fort, now called Camp Castle, bearing some resemblance to a summer camp of the Romans. The Castle of Auldbar, another ancient fort, is of feudal origin. There were several of these strongholds on this border-ground between the Braemen and the Lowlanders. The Arbroath and Forfar railway passes south of this parish."
"MARESTONE, a hamlet in the parishes of Aberlemno and Rescobie, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of Forfar."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]