AIRLIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"AIRLIE, (or Airly), a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles-to the S.W. of, Kirriemuir. It is situated partly among the Grampian hills and in the Valley of Strathmore, and is watered by the rivers Isla and Dean. It was formerly a moss, but is now cultivated and fertile. The Castle of Airlie, the seat of the Ogilvies, Earls of Airlie, stands at the confluence of the Isla and Melgum, on the site of the old castle, the Bonnie House of Airlie, which was destroyed in 1640. The rocks, with their trees and streams and glens, make a scene of rare and striking beauty. There are some ruins of Balrie Castle, the seat of the last Viscount Fenton. The living is in the presbytery of Meigle, value £219, in the patronage of the Earl of Strathmore."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use