"ALYTH, a parish partly in the county of Forfar, but chiefly, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 4 miles from Meigle, and 18 miles to the N.E. of Perth, at a short distance from the Dundee and Newtyle railway. The town stands in a pleasant situation at the foot of Alyth Hill, on the river Isla, which forms the southern boundary of the parish. Under a charter granted by King James III., Alyth is a burgh of barony, and belongs to the Earl of Airly, who takes hence the title of Baron of Alyth. The district is hilly, having an elevation of 1,179 feet at the Hill of King's-seat, but the soil along the valley of the Islar is extremely fertile. There is a good supply of game in Alyth forest, among the mosses of which the burn of Alyth rises, which joins the Isla at Mount Blair, the highest ground in the parish. The principal occupation of the inhabitants is the weaving of coarse linens for the Dundee trade. The living is in the presbytery of Meigle, value £230, in the patronage of the crown. The church is an elegant structure, in the Norman style of architecture, built in 1839, and contains 1,290 sittings. There is also a Free church containing 806 sittings, and chapels belonging to the Episcopalians and United Presbyterians. There are extensive and well-preserved remains of an ancient entrenchment, believed to be Pictish, on Barry Hill. It is the subject of many legends, the predominant tradition being that it formed the prison of the renowned Guinevre, wife of the hero Prince Arthur. Her local name is Queen Wander, and she is represented as a wicked giantess. On the south side of the same hill are some rude pillars, which evidently belong to a very remote antiquity. A market is held at Alyth on Tuesday, and there are several fairs in the course of the year. The parish has an area of about 30 square miles."
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Alyth.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]