Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ARBIRLOT, (or Aber-elliott), a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 2 miles to the W. of Arbroath. It is situated on the coast of the German Ocean, at the mouth of the small river Elliott, whence its name is derived. There is a chalybeate spring at Wormy hills, which was formerly more esteemed than it is now. Kelly Castle, a very ancient structure, is on a rock rising from the river bed, and belongs to the Panmures. The living, value £184, is in the presbytery of Arbroath, and in the patronage of the crown. The parish church was built in 1832. There is also a Free church, and a parochial library."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]