AUCHTERHOUSE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"AUCHTERHOUSE, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles to the N.W. of Dundee. It has a station on the Dundee and Newtyle branch railway. The parish is situated on the river Dighty, on the southern slope of the Lidlaw Hills, and comprises the villages of Dronley and Kirkton. The living, which is of the value of £229 is in the presbytery of Dundee, and in the patronage of the Earl of Airlie. There is also some glebe attached. Auchterhouse Castle, or the House of Auchterhouse, belongs to the Earl of Airlie. Not far from it is a castle called Wallace Tower. It is a square tower of great strength, the only remains of a largo building conjectured to have been the seat of Sir John Ramsay, formerly lord of Auchterhouse. Here, probably, he received the patriot hero after whom the tower is named, when he arrived from France to attempt the liberation of his country. The parish has an area of 3,567 acres, chiefly arable, and abounds with building and paving stone."
"DRONLEY, a village in the parish of Auchterhouse, in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It is a station on the Dundee and Newtyle section of the Dundee, Perth, and Aberdeen Junction railway. It stands at the junction of the burn of Aughterhouse with the burn of Dronley, where they unite to form Dighty Water."
"KIRKTON, a village in the parish of Auchterhouse, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Dundee. It is situated on the river Dighty, near the line of the Dundee and Newtyle railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use