"Careston or Caraldston, a small parish in the county of Angus extending about 3 miles in length and 1 in breadth. The surface is beautiful and well cultivated with a gently slope from North to South; there are no rocks or hills. The soil is deep and fertile; and the banks of the rivers Southesk and Norin, are beautifully ornamented with various plantations. There are fed annually a considerable number of black cattle but very few sheep."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.