[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CARESTON, (or Caraldston), a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles to the W. of Brechin, its post town, which is a station on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. It is situated in a fertile district on the banks of the South Esk, where the Noran rivulet falls into it. The living, value £158, is in the presbytery of Brechin, in the patronage of the Earl of Fife, who owns the estate of Careston, and whose seat is Careston Castle, a noble edifice chiefly built in the beginning of the 15th century. In the parish is a cairn in memory of one of the heroes of Ossian."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]